Terms and conditions

Terms and Conditions of www.http://tmacteesoff.blogspot.com/ Below are the Terms and Conditions for use of www.http://tmacteesoff.blogspot.com/. Please read these carefully. If you need to contact us regarding any aspect of the following terms of use of our website, please contact us on the following email address - tmacgolf13@gmail.com. By accessing the content of www.http://tmacteesoff.blogspot.com/ ( hereafter referred to as website ) you agree to the terms and conditions set out herein and also accept our Privacy Policy. If you do not agree to any of the terms and conditions you should not continue to use the Website and leave immediately. You agree that you shall not use the website for any illegal purposes, and that you will respect all applicable laws and regulations. You agree not to use the website in a way that may impair the performance, corrupt or manipulate the content or information available on the website or reduce the overall functionality of the website. You agree not to compromise the security of the website or attempt to gain access to secured areas of the website or attempt to access any sensitive information you may believe exist on the website or server where it is hosted. You agree to be fully responsible for any claim, expense, losses, liability, costs including legal fees incurred by us arising from any infringement of the terms and conditions in this agreement and to which you will have agreed if you continue to use the website. The reproduction, distribution in any method whether online or offline is strictly prohibited. The work on the website and the images, logos, text and other such information is the property of www.http://tmacteesoff.blogspot.com/ ( unless otherwise stated ). Disclaimer Though we strive to be completely accurate in the information that is presented on our site, and attempt to keep it as up to date as possible, in some cases, some of the information you find on the website may be slightly outdated. www.http://tmacteesoff.blogspot.com/ reserves the right to make any modifications or corrections to the information you find on the website at any time without notice. Change to the Terms and Conditions of Use We reserve the right to make changes and to revise the above mentioned Terms and Conditions of use. Last Revised: 03-17-2017

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Berman takes Open assignment seriously

Berman gives TMac another mulligan.


   With the 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club’s East Course in the Ardmore section of Haverford Township teeing off in just 42 days, a few thoughts from Monday’s Media Day.

   I read a lot of golf publications and it seems like in the wake of the U.S. Open every year, someone who fancies himself or herself quite the golf purist (OK, it’s almost always a guy because women don’t pay much attention to announcers), takes a shot at Chris Berman for his role as part of ESPN’s broadcast team for the first two days of coverage.

   So who would have to end up witnessing me hacking it around one of the finest golf courses in the world on Media Day, but Boomer himself.

   It rained pretty steadily Monday morning and I despaired even getting out on the course.

  And the poor weather certainly persuaded some among the media to sit this one out. So that’s how it ended up with me paired in a twosome with Berman teeing off the first hole. Just him and me and our caddies, carrying single bags. Pancho had Berman’s bag and John mine. They were veterans – as I had once been a proud veteran caddy at Merion – and if I had been a little more on the ball, I would have their last names, but that gives me something to work on during Open week.
   A couple of Berman’s ESPN colleagues, including “Baseball Tonight” host Karl Ravech, were in the group ahead of us, but Berman was happy to tee it up with a “local guy” like me, even moreso when I told him I was an old Merion looper myself and had a bag in the 1981 Open.

   As we worked our way around the course, Berman penned some notes on each hole on a scorecard. He paid attention to all the Merion stories Pancho, John and myself could dole out. And he got a pretty nice putting tip from Pancho, who gives lessons to city kids at a range at 33rd and Oxford in Philadelphia.

   He left all of the Boomer shtick at the office and he cared a lot about the course and his game, which got steadily better as the day wore on. Again, considering he had to watch me hit 100-yard popups off just about every tee, it was amazing he was able to muster a half-dozen or so pars.

   OK, I did get a bit of a nickname.

   To save the fairways, in certain areas your caddy lays down a driving-range style mat to hit off. Apparently, even the membership has had to put up with this since late last fall. Anyway, I hit some of my best shots off the mat, probably owing to my driving-range roots. We had to hit off the mats on the shortest hole on the course, the par-3 13th, which is only about 115 yards, but is protected by a massive bunker in front. I hit a soaring 8-iron off the mat right on to the green (3-putted it, of course, for a bogey).

   My mastery of hitting off the mat (probably combined with my Penn State headcovers) earned me the nickname … Matt Millen. Made sense.

   Then rain stopped just about when we started and pretty much held off until the last three holes. And despite my inability to keep my ball out of the nefarious Merion rough, it was a very enjoyable day.

   Berman never even came close to big-timing me and, of course, he had some interesting stories to tell out of what I’m certain is a limitless supply of them.

    I will probably catch some of the replays of ESPN’s coverage. Most years, when the U.S. Open is not here (or at Oakmont), I watch the coverage live and the replays, just because it’s the U.S. Open.

   It will be interesting to hear Berman’s broadcast this year. I know for a fact he will be prepared because I got to see some of his preparation up close. And I know he knows his golf, particularly when it comes to the Open. And I will take the critics a little less seriously this year because I got to see how seriously Berman takes this assignment.

 As for the golf course …

   I had been warned a little about this, so it wasn’t a total shock, but two of the alterations done to the East Course in preparation for this Open seemed unnecessary.

   In the case of both the 12th and 15th greens, the slippery front portions have been rendered less slippery, probably taking away two really neat pin placements. They are both still tough greens and the yawning bunkers that protect the right side of the greens will still provide USGA executive director Mike Davis the opportunity to set up a couple of sucker pins.
   But anybody who has ever seen a player – even some good ones – putt one right off the green from above the hole when the pin was set in the front left of either hole, will probably be wishing, as I am, that maybe the old 12th and 15th greens will be restored when the Big Show leaves town.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment